Putting The Power In The People’s Hands

How does the age of your roof affect your claim?

On Behalf of | Oct 17, 2023 | Homeowner Claims

Roof fires can occur due to various factors like lightning, wildfires, or electrical issues, each causing different types of damage. Insurance coverage for such damages varies. While insurers usually cover natural disasters like lightning or wildfires, they may dispute claims from preventable causes like electrical faults. The age of your roof also influences your claim, with older roofs possibly receiving less coverage based on your policy.

The age and condition of your roof

Generally speaking, the age of your roof can significantly impact the coverage you receive. Insurance companies often consider the wear and tear or any pre-existing damage on older roofs. These factors can affect the roof’s value and lifespan, which insurance companies might use as grounds to potentially reduce the amount they will cover for your claim.

Coverage for damage to your roof

Your roof’s damage coverage depends on your policy type and the fire’s cause. Commonly, there are two types of policies, such as:

  • Replacement Cost Value (RCV): RCV policies cover the total cost of replacing your old roof with a new one of the same quality and type, regardless of your roof’s age. However, these policies usually cost more and might have higher deductibles than ACV policies.
  • Actual Cash Value (ACV): ACV policies determine coverage by assessing your roof’s depreciated value, considering its age and condition. For example, if your roof is a decade old and was initially expected to last a quarter of a century, your ACV policy might cover about 60% of the replacement cost (since 25 minus ten divided by 25 equals 0.6). This means you’d need to cover the remaining 40% from your own pocket.

While the cause of the fire – whether natural or preventable – can influence your coverage, the age of your roof also plays a critical role in your claim. It’s essential to understand the terms of your policy and how it covers older roofs. If you face challenges with your insurer, such as delays or denials, you may consider seeking legal counsel.

Understanding how your roof’s age influences your claim can significantly help you protect your home.