A house fire can cause severe damage to your home and personal property. Even when the flames do not touch everything in your home, there is additional damage from smoke and water that you will have to combat.
The American Red Cross explains getting rid of smoke odors is one of the most difficult parts of the clean-up after a house fire.
For fabric items and soft surfaces, you can use products that include the ingredient tri-sodium phosphate. For hard surfaces, you should be able to use a mild soap or detergent mixed with TSP and bleach to clean.
Dealing with water damage
If you have areas of drywall that ended up wet, they will not dry enough to remain usable. They could retain moisture and allow for the growth of mold or mildew. You will need to remove these areas of the wall.
You should be cautious about any other items that retain water. In some cases, it is best to throw them out instead of trying to clean them because of the risk of mold and mildew growth. You should always assess the ability of something to dry completely because allowing mold or mildew growth can lead to serious health issues.
Safety will be important as you clean. You should wear masks to protect yourself from particles and dust. You also want to wear gloves and be aware of soft spots in flooring or other compromised areas that could be dangerous.
Cleaning up after a house fire is a tedious process. The important thing is to realize when you cannot salvage something and to keep safety a priority at all times as you work.